Matthew Stephens, a recent graduate from Texas State University, earned his Master of Music degree in Choral Conducting. A former public school teacher, Stephens was the choral director for Fairview Concert Choir. The 55 member SATB middle school choir was sponsored and developed by Stephens from scratch and quickly became a campus and community hit. Students performed for their local community on the Business Christmas Tour that included local business and nursing homes. They won multiple “I” ratings at district contests, “First” and “Best Overall” awards at national competitions, and were chosen to sing at the state music educator’s annual conference. The students also performed at the state principal’s annual conference.
Stephens also served as Associate Conductor at Texas State University’s Men’s, Treble, and University Singers ensembles as well as Conspirare Youth Chorus in Austin while completing his Master of Music in Choral Conducting. For his master’s recital, Stephens conducted “Requiem for the Living” by Dan Forrest (chamber orchestra and choir). The 42 minute performance followed a composition for string quartet, “The Last Goodbye,” composed by Stephens.
Matthew enjoys teaching choir and writing, composing for choir and string quartet, and spending time with his children.
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education – Missouri State University
- Teaching Certificates: Middle School English, High School English, K-12 Music
- Master of Education (MEd) in Administration – William Woods University
- Master of Music: Choral Conducting – Texas State University
- Choral Director -15 years
- (Men’s choir, Women’s choir, Middle School Choir, High School Choir, Mixed Chorus)
- Worship Leader – 5 years
- Vocal Lessons – 15 years
- Choral Clinician
- Invitation to perform at MMEA
- Teacher of the Year