Brand new in 2019, Choirs of South Austin Academy of Vocal Arts is an outreach of teacher and conductor, Matthew Stephens with Essentials in Writing (EIW), a local homeschool writing company that recently located to Austin, Texas. EIW seeks to provide homeschool students of Austin, Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos an opportunity to participate in a choir program. EIW funds all fellowships with the goal of providing local homeschool students (ages 14-18) with leadership training opportunities in the context of the choral ensemble.
PLEASE NOTE: When enrolling in a choir, you will be asked to select whether or not you want to apply for a fellow position. If you select this, you will be contacted by email with the appropriate forms to apply for the fellowship.
CHOIR FELLOW (Ages 14-18) Deadline: September 30, 2021
Do you have strong organization, leadership, and singing skills? APPLY NOW!
South Austin Academy of Vocal Arts is seeking candidates to serve as Choir Fellows (CFs) for Academy Singers in the 2021-2022 academic year, September 2021through May 2022 (CFs hired into the position will have the option to remain in the position during the summer months- June, July & August 2022). Choir Fellows work together to enhance the musical, academic, and leadership opportunities of homeschool students. Participation as a Choir Fellow is an outstanding way to meet new people and improve vocal performance technique, as well as develop leadership and administrative skills, gain useful experience for your resume, and contribute to the choral experience. Candidates must exhibit:
- strong vocal skills such as but not limited to reading music, performance technique, etc.
- motivation, self-direction and personal integrity
- highly developed interpersonal and vocal/musical skills
- strong leadership potential and a history of commitment
Only 3 Choir Fellows are available.
Choir Fellows assist, lead, and advise members of Academy Singers and seek to grow the student body. Specific duties are described below.
- Improve vocal performance technique through both classroom and outside rehearsal
- Improve sight reading skill through both classroom and outside rehearsal
- Attend a Choir Fellows Orientation session and plan meetings with CFs
- Meet the first Friday of the month (after choir rehearsal) to discuss and implement rehearsal strategies, administrative updates, and recruitment strategies
- Manage social media updates
- Assist with planning and implementing choir tryouts for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 seasons
- Assist with planning and administrative elements of the fall and spring concerts
- Communicate in writing and verbally with students regarding rehearsals and vocal technique
- Actively use social media and other platforms to promote Academy Singers and recruit members
Choir Fellows recruit singers for Academy Singers, rehearse and prepare for choir rehearsal outside of class, and attend weekly choral rehearsals. During the 90-minute choir rehearsal, CFs are expected to inspire, encourage, assist, lead, and advise members of the choir. CFs are required to attend one monthly administrative meeting after choir rehearsal on the first Friday of every month.
Choir Fellows will receive a stipend of $250 per semester.